Oracle monitoring

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Mon May 11 13:05:15 CEST 2009

2009/5/11  <chethan.mnc at wipro.com>:
> Thanks Jim.... :)
>
> How do I go about next after installing the all the oracle plugins available on "http://www.monitoringexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?d=1"...
>
> Please suggest.

Briefly, the steps are as follows:

First choose which plugins you think will be useful to you.

Then, install them (usually copy the executable files to
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/ and give them similar ownership and
permissions to the files already there).

Make sure you understand what they do and can run them from the command line.

Configure service checks in Nagios to make use of these plugins.

You will probably need to install the Oracle lightweight client (or
ordinary Oracle client software) on your Nagios server in order to run
these plugins.  Alternatively you could use nrpe or check_by_ssh to
run them on the remote server.

You will need to read some documentation to understand how to do all
this.  If you find the online documentation heavy going, I recommend
you purchase the book "Nagios" by Wofgang Barth which I mentioned
earlier.

I don't use these plugins myself, so can't offer you any sample
configs (otherwise I would).

Cheers,

Jim