What does the flag failure_prediction_enabled

Andreas Ericsson exon at op5.com
Sat May 9 02:18:12 CEST 2009

Sean Carolan wrote:
>>> I can't find any informations on the flag "failure_prediction_enabled"
>>> in service definition. What is the effect of this flag ?
>> First result for 'nagios failure prediction' on Google:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?btnI=&q=nagios+failure+prediction
>
> And it appears that first result has not been updated since 2002.  Is
> the failure detection feature just a vestigial organ that never
> finished developing?

As far as I can see, the failure_prediction_enabled flag does absolutely
nothing right now.

I can certainly imagine a reason for this. Failure prediction is *hard*.
To get it right, you need to take into account
1. The current check thresholds (currently specified as arguments to
    Nagios plugins, so Nagios core knows nothing about them)
2. The average delta between several checks over a possibly *very* long
    period of time.
3. The number of times the potential problem is being taken care of
    before it becomes a problem, and how this affects the average delta.
4. Artificial intelligence to learn about previous problems in other
    areas of the network that could, potentially, lead to problems with
    the monitored host.

/Andreas

DISCLAIMER:
I wrote this email very, very late on a friday evening, after having
drunk several glasses of wine in very pleasant company. Such petty
details as checking my facts to make sure I'm right didn't really enter
my mind at the time I was writing this. It's possible I'll regret that
later, but right now I'm reasonably certain the above s correct.