Nagios Monitor Server, and NRPE clients, giving funny results

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri May 8 22:01:29 CEST 2009

On May 8, 2009, at 4:26 AM, Gabriel - IP Guys wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to get my Nagios instance to behave properly! It seems to
> be
> monitoring my servers just fine, but for some reason, all my servers,
> which are different from each other show the same swap space, and the
> same free disk space to within 10 megs.

This tells me that you're most likely not monitoring those through
NRPE on the remote machines. I suspect that this is the value for your
nagios machine. Config examples would help clarify.

> ./Check_nrpe -H client_ip -c check_disk 50 80
>
> My understanding tells me that the following happens
>
> *	The check_nrpe plugin on the nagios monitor server runs, and
> accesses the client at client_ip

Correct.

> *	It initiates its local check_disk plugin with the parameters of
> 50 and 80.

Incorrect. check_nrpe does not pass arguments to the remote NRPE
daemon unless --
	- it was compiled with the --enable-command-args flag
	- dont_blame_nrpe is set in nrpe.cfg
	- you pass them with the -a switch to check_nrpe
	- See the SECURITY document for NRPE for documentation and examples.

> *	This causes the check_disk plugin on the client to run, as if
> typed locally in this manner check_disk -w 50 -c 80

No, but you may specify those arguments in the command definition in
nrpe.cfg instead of trying to pass them via check_nrpe.

> Running check_disk 50 80 on client_ip returns data on the disk state
> Running ./Check_nrpe -H client_ip -c check_disk 50 80 on Nagios
> monitor
> server returns unknown argument
>

> I cannot figure out what is causing this discrepancy - check_nrpe -H
> client_ip returns Nagios version so I know the communication works.

I expect you see now that the '50 80' is being interpreted as an
argument to check_nrpe itself, not check_disk, hence the 'unknown
argument' error. If they're static numbers, you're probably fine just
specifying them in each host's nrpe.cfg file.

--
Marc