check_disk and CD/DVD in Solaris

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed May 6 20:42:24 CEST 2009

2009/5/6 Andrew Davis <nccomp at gmail.com>:
> I have check_disk setup to do monitor all local disks so that I don't have
> to make edits everytime I add a new filesystem or mount point.
> Unfortunately, on Solaris, mounted CD's and DVD's show as local volumes and
> as 100% full. Unfortunately, check_disk (the stock one) is not a simple
> shell script that I can edit to throw in a "grep -v cdrom" line. I'm curious
> how you guys are handling this? Do you define all your filesystems manually
> for Solaris hosts? Are you using an alternate test? Any suggestions would be
> much appreciated...

I use check_snmp_storage.pl from http://nagios.manubulon.com/ to
monitor Solaris (and various other) filesystems.  I usually monitor
each filesystem individually but sometimes use the regular expression
matching to bundle similar filesystems together.

I would love to be able automatically to pick up new filesystems as
you say (and it's possible using this plugin), but firstly it would
break the pnp4nagios graphing and secondly our Unix admins frequently
mount filesystems for test restores and suchlike and I really don't
want to be bothered with those.

That's my 2p worth.  There are lots of ways to skin this metaphorical cat.

Cheers,

Jim