service escalations on hostgroup/servicegroup combos

Mark Gius mgius at createspace.com
Wed May 6 19:34:54 CEST 2009

I am attempting to create service escalations that act upon a
hostgroup/servicegroup combination.  I'd like to see escalations on
services on certain hosts that are part of a particular servicegroup.
I'm having trouble doing this.  I've tried a number of different ways to
do this.

I have tried using "hostgroup_name" in a service escalation, but left
"servicegroup_name" and "service_description" undefined.  Doing this
results in _no_ service escalations being created by nagios (generating
no error messages or warnings, which is annoying in it's own right).

I have tried using "hostgroup_name" in combination with
"servicegroup_name," which creates service escalations for every service
in "servicegroup_name" with hostgroup_name having no noticeable effect
upon anything.

I have tried using "hostgroup_name" (and "host_name") in combination
with "service_description" wild-cards.  This results in an error from
nagios.  Based on the "Object tricks" page, I _should_ be able to
declare the following in a service definition

    host_name  simpson

   service_description	*

When I do this,  I get an error about not being able to expand services
on simpson, even though that host is currently being monitored in nagios
with several services on it.

Has anyone configured their nagios in such a way (hostgroup/servicegroup
overlap escalations), or knows of some way I might be able to achieve
this setup?

Mark Gius