PNP swap template HOWTO

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed May 6 19:37:18 CEST 2009

2009/5/6 Ayotunde Itayemi <Ayotunde.Itayemi at zain.com>:
> I noticed also that all my graphs use the Default Template and the XML
> files for all of them have <TEMPLATE>check_nrpe</TEMPLATE>. As these
> files are generated automatically, how do I get the SWAP graph to use
> the SWAP template?

You'll notice that the graph produced by the default template tells
you what check command is being run (in the bottom right hand corner
of the graphic).  This is the name you need to use for your template,
so in your case you will need to name your new template file
"check_nrpe.php".

It's not quite as simple as that though, because if you set up a
check_nrpe.php template which makes your swap graphs look lovely, it
might make all the other checks you run using check_nrpe look awful!
You might need to consider setting up a separate command definition in
Nagios just for your swap checks.  Make it the same as check_nrpe but
call it something a little different, for example "check_nrpe-swap".
Of course you'll need also to change your swap service definition to
use this command.  You can then rename your check_nrpe.pnp template to
check_nrpe-swap.pnp and it won't mess up all your other nrpe checks.

It's not necessary to remove .rrd or .xml files when you tinker with
the templates - just hit refresh in your browser when viewing the
graphs in PNP to see if the template is working.

hth,

Jim