check_snmp - warning numbers

Matias Blanco matias at valastro.com.ar
Wed May 6 19:26:31 CEST 2009

Hola Alejandro,

Ahora otra cosa:

De que manera crees que pueda chequear los puertos de mi switch con
nagios para tener una idea más clara de lo que está sucediendo?
Porque esos paquetes entrantes con errores no se si son por causa de la
PC o de los puerto del switch...

Muchas Gracias...

Cristian

************************************

Hola Matías... :-) and hola everyone...

There exists a magical website where to identify every OID you can check
with SNMP, the link is:

http://support.ipmonitor.com/mibs_byoidtree.aspx

For your particular issue, if you type "RFC1213-MIB" at the "Search
for:" form, click the result given ("RFC1213-MIB"), and then "View:
Oid-tree", you'll be able to locate "ifInErrors(14)" at the tree shown,
and clicking it you'll find its Description, which reads literally:

"The number of inbound packets that contained errors preventing them
from being deliverable to a higher-layer protocol."

That's the answer to your question!!

Now some other questions appear...

Wouldn't it be nicer to know what exactly are you monitoring before you
monitor it, so you could properly interpret the results?

Is that parameter (number of inbound packets that contained errors and
blah blah blah...) significant enough to determine if a port is working
properly or not?

Hope this helps...

Best regards,

         Alejandro