check_snmp - warning numbers

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed May 6 18:24:14 CEST 2009

Comments below --

On May 6, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Matias Blanco wrote:

> Hi, I am using the check_snmp nagios`s plugin. And when we check the
> ports status of a 3com Baseline 2250 Plus, we recibe many ports
> results:
>
> SNMP OK – 0
> SNMP WARNING - *1*
> SNMP WARNING - *84*
> SNMP WARNING - *2*
> SNMP WARNING - *2*
> SNMP WARNING - *4*
>
> The question is, what´s the meaning of the warning numbers?

Depends on what you're checking...

[snip]

> Example of service
> -------------------
>
> define service {
> 	use			service-15x3x5-switchs
> 	host_name		3COM2250P
> 	service_description	Port 03 [In Errors]
> 	check_command		check_snmp!-C public -o ifInErrors.3 -w
> 0 -m RFC1213-MIB
> 	notifications_enabled	0
> 	}

Assuming the numbers above are related to this service --

 From the RFC1213-MIB --

ifInErrors OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX  Counter
     ACCESS  read-only
     STATUS  mandatory
     DESCRIPTION
             "The number of inbound packets that contained
             errors preventing them from being deliverable to a
             higher-layer protocol."
     ::= { ifEntry 14 }

For this example service, the number being returned is the number of
input errors since last counter reset, roll or device restart for the
interface with SNMP index 3. Note that this does not necessarily
correspond to Port 3 thanks to the joys of various SNMP
implementations and device types. You can identify the specific
interface that currently has an index of 3 using 'snmpwalk -C public -
v1 <ip of device> ifDescr'. You may need to substitute '-v2c' for '-
v1' if you're using SNMP version 2.

--
Marc