Acknowledgement after escalation, sends email to the escalation email?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon May 4 19:46:22 CEST 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Peter Doherty wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Okay, here's the problem.  I set up nagios to send emails to our RT
> system for certain problems.  For example:

[snip]

> This worked perfectly today, 'server' failed the 'Uptime' service
> check, and on the third notification, it went into the RT system.
> I logged into the Nagios web interface, and acknowledged the problem.
> Nagios then sent the acknowledgement email into RT, which opened a
> second ticket. That shouldn't happen.

For your use of the escalation... For other uses, that acknowledgment
e-mail is quite desired...

> How do I disable Nagios from sending
> acknowledgement emails to the email that it escalated to.

You can't. You can, however, filter out the $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ of
'ACKNOWLEDGMENT' in the notification script you are calling for that
contact.

> I know I  could have unchecked the box to send email, but I'd rather
> for Nagios
> to ONLY do what I told it to do, which is to send out the escalation
> on the third notification, and not try and be smart and send
> acknowledgements to that address too.

And where did you tell nagios what notification types to send to the
escalated contacts; that specifically restricted acknowledgements?
Heh. It was told by the Nagios developer to send acknowledgment
notifications to any contact that received a prior notification. This
is very longstanding and generally desired behavior that currently
trumps anything you think you've told nagios to do in that regard. ;)

--
Marc