Nagios: External directory permission issue.

Jimmyboy jimmyjose2980 at gmail.com
Sat May 2 07:16:52 CEST 2009

Hi,

After installing Nagios 3.0.6, I login to the web interface using
http://localhost/nagios.
When I attempt to restart the Nagios service using 'Process Info', the error
thrown is as seen below.

=-=-=
Error: Could not open command file '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd' for
update!

The permissions on the external command file and/or directory may be
incorrect. Read the FAQs on how to setup proper permissions.

An error occured while attempting to commit your command for processing.

*Return from whence you came
*=-=-=

I checked the directory permissions and here is the output.

*Output of 'ls -al /usr/local/nagios/var'*
drwxrwsr-x 2 nagios nagcmd 4096 2009-04-18 07:25 rw

*Output of 'ls -al /usr/local/nagios/var/rw'*
prw-rw---- 1 nagios nagcmd 14049 2009-04-18 07:25 nagios.cmd
=-=-=

Any idea what else need to be done?

Regards,