Check Windows Updates question

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Sat May 2 02:38:09 CEST 2009

On Fri, 01 May 2009 15:24:39 +0200, Albrecht Dreß
<albrecht.dress at arcor.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I try to use the plugin
><http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=2639.html;d=1> via
>nrpe as to detect pending Windows updates.  However, running the
>plug-in says
>
><snip>
>root at my-server:/opt/nagios/libexec# ./check_nrpe -H winbox -c
>check_win_updates ; echo $?
>Critical: 10 Updates detected! No Reboot required!
>2
></snip>
>
>but when I log onto the Win box and run the Win update, it says that
>there are no pending updates.
>
>Any idea what I missed here?  I would really like to use that plug-in...

Not something you missed, but the plugin author.  The plugin reads the
"ReportingEvents.log" file in the SoftwareDistribution folder, and
looks for a specific ID.  Unfortunately it appears that log isn't
rotated on each check, which means that you had, at one point, several
updates pending, and WSUS hasn't updated the status successfully
since.

Try stopping wuauctl on the server in question, and renaming the log
file.

net stop wuauctl
C:\windows\softwaredistribution\ReportingEvents.log <rename/move>
net start wuauctl
wuauclt /detectnow

Trigger another check, and see what comes back.  If you still see odd
issues, take a look at the log file, and search for the line that
looks like this:

  Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates

If this still doesn't work out for you, there are plenty of other
options on the http://nagiosexchange.org such as:

  http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=2547.html;d=1

Good luck
--