Using nagios for multiple data centers

Matthew Litwin mlitwin at stubhub.com
Tue Mar 31 23:11:36 CEST 2009

I would like to pose a more advanced question to everyone here on how I
might use our current implementation of nagios to monitor multiple data
centers without having to set up multiple nagios servers for each. The
reason for doing is to have the ability to view all nagios alerts from a
single incidents page, generate integrated graphs and reports, and reduce
the number of servers in general. However, while doing this, I want to also
be able to be able to view the just the alerts that are relevant to a single
data center at a time, thus limiting the view to just those alerts.

The function of our data centers will be that one is a mirror of the other
and will act as failover. While we need to make sure both are up and
healthy, one will be in an active state and one will be in an standby state,
and our NOC will need to be able to focus on just one or the other. Thus,
aside from assigning each datacenter with active and standby state, one
concern is to be able to view just the alerts for the hosts and services
relevant to a single data center. This means having a main screen like
nagios has for alerts, but one for data center A and the other for data
center B. I was thinking that I could delineate which hardware was part of
which data center by using hostgroups, dependencies, or a mix of both. The
point of this would be to be able to view and report data from hosts and
services from a single data center as well as all of them.

Are there any documented methods for doing this that you know of? If not, do
you have any suggestions on how one might go about this? I am open to all
reasonably sane suggestions and ideas. Clearly, usability is the main goal,
but ease of administration will also be just as important. Lastly, this
would have to be added to an existing nagios installation, so completely
re-architecting the entire thing is not something I can do as I need to
preserve the data that has already been collected for our active data
center.

Thanks for your input!