Children "unreachable" on soft down?

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Tue Mar 31 01:05:34 CEST 2009

Does nagios (3.0.3) mark a child host as unreachable when its parent
enters a soft down state? I am finding myself getting repeated down
messages for a host (which is, in fact, down), even though I have
notifications set to only send a single message. Looking at the logs,
it would appear that what is happening is that the host is flipping
between "down" (which notifies me) and "unreachable" (which does not).
The parent host, however, never enters a hard down state. Looking at
the logs, what I see is that one ICMP check fails, throwing the host
into a soft down state, but the next one works just fine, bringing it
back to an up state.

The logic works fine for the parent host- since it never hits a hard
down state, it doesn't alert, and everyone is happy. But apparently
with the child host every time this happens, it switches from critical
to unreachable and back again, triggering a notification. Is there any
way to keep this from happening? Thanks.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician II
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd