Forwarding through intermediate nodes?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 30 17:15:58 CEST 2009

Chris Pepper wrote:
> 	We have a couple small HPC compute clusters, and would like to monitor
> our nodes. They aren't large enough to justify their own Nagios
> installations on the head nodes, and the heads aren't particularly
> trusted in our network topology.
>
> 	But we would like to monitor health of the compute nodes, on a Nagios
> server which *cannot* connect to the nodes directly.
>
> 	I didn't find this in the wiki, SF, or Exchange, and it doesn't look
> like something I could do with a single NSCA.
>
> 	Is anyone doing this, or forwarding/tunneling Nagios traffic for
> another reason? I'm considering running a couple ssh tunnels on the head
> node, pointing back to the monitoring servers, but not sure how well
> this will work.
>
> 	Suggestions welcomed.

I think I'd solve this using a small custom script that runs all the checks
you want against the nodes (I suppose all nodes require more or less identical
checks) and sends the results back to the Nagios server as passive checks.

If the head nodes aren't allowed to talk to Nagios, they could publish the
checkresults (along with a timestamp) through some other means, like http,
ftp or even just a simple netcat session where a polling script on the
Nagios server can fetch them later. Make sure to include a timestamp in the
results-file if you do that, so you can verify that the checks are actually
being run.

Interesting problem. I'd take it kindly if you keep us posted :)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.