MySQL.SOCK Location in NDO2DB

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 30 16:23:26 CEST 2009

Ken Netzorg wrote:
> Hopefully this question can be posted here as I haven't found a group
> specific to NDO2DB  =)
> I just installed NDO2DB and am looking to put the data into a MySQL DB on
> the same server using UNIX socks. MySQL has been configured to put the sock
> file in /tmp/mysql.sock but when I start NDO2DB, it is looking for the file
> in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock.
>
> I have looked through the ndo2db.cfg file and cannot fine a location to
> specify where ndo2db should look to find the sock file. Is there an
> undocumented line I can add to override the default location? I know I can
> always fall back to adding a link myself in the /var/lib/mysql directory to
> /tmp, but I'd rather not go that route and have soft links here and there
> and just configure it through the central config file. (I've already
> specified the override location through the mysql.default_socket directive
> in the PHP.INI file and PHP is working fine.)
>
> I looked at the ./configure --help output and it doesn't look like I can
> configure it through re-compiling....

NDO2DB is using the MySQL client libraries (libmysqlclient) on your
system. The default location of the socket is configured there.

> Thoughts?

Does the regular mysql client work on the server you've set this up?
If it doesn't, I assume you need to add an entry defining the socket
location in the [client] part of the my.cnf file. Also, if you're
using a non-standard location for your my.cnf file, libmysqlclient
won't find it unless you pass it the same environment variables as
you pass to the mysql daemon.

In general, ndoutils work just fine if you install MySQL and all
its client libraries from your distribution's package repositories.
If you start fiddling with compiling on your own, you may well end
up shooting yourself in the foot which, to me, appears to be exactly
what has happened here.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.