Query About NAGIOS PLUGIN

Amit Kumar risinamit at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 09:13:02 CEST 2009

A  application is running  on remote server ,I  want  to  execute a perl
script on that remote server  to cehck it's availability and  other stuffs
locally on that remote server and  whatever  output comes  after the
execution of that script  it  should be  available on the  nagios local
monitoring server: Please help me  out, I have   done  following  steps:

Modification on Local Nagios Server:
1.  /usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg  made an entry like :

      command[check_nrpe]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
<REMOTESERVER_IP>

2.  /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/services.cfg  made a following entry
       define service{
        use generic-service
        service_description Netcool status
        check_command    check_nrpe!check_impact
}
restarted the nagios server and the nrpe server on  Nagios localserver

Modification done on the remote server
1.  /usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg  made an entry like :

     command[check_impact]=/root/amit/nagioscheck/nagios_impact.pl
-p=<PROCESS_NAME>
   this perl  script  resides on the remote  server
restarted the nrpe server on  remote server.

Now  My  question is how   can  I get  this  working? I  tried most of the
things  available  on  internet but nothing seems to be  working.
Am I missing any  step or  any  local configuration , then please  specify.
It is giving me  hard  time

NRPE version is same  on both remote and  local nagios server  i.e 2.0  and
the check_nrpe  utlity version on the local nagios server is  also 2.0.
Please  help me for the same.
Thanks in advance,

Amit Kumar