Nagios and MySQL

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Mar 26 09:50:56 CET 2009

Mark Weaver wrote:
> Hi List,
> I was wondering if anyone has connected their standard Nagios installation up to
> a MySQL backend?
>
> I'm looking at this from a purely disaster recovery aspect. It's easy enough to
> backup the configuration, but the data is another matter.

Why you would want to move data from flat files to a database for disaster
recovery purposes is beyond me. Care to explain?

> My current Nagios installation is version 3 installed on a CentOS 4.7 server.
> The installation was done via Yum from the rpmforge repo. Much cleaner install
> than compiling the tarballs and much easier to manage.
>
> Yes, I could archive all the installation paths, but because they were installed
> via the RPM method things are spread out all over the file system. It would be
> real nice if I had all the data contained within a MySQL backend. That way if I
> had to restore should my Nag server die or suffer some horrible fate it could be
> a matter of reinstalling the packages, restoring the /etc/nagios directory where
> all the configs live, restore the database and I'm of again.

This should work reasonably well:

tar czf "nagios-backup-$(date +%Y-%m-%d.%T).tar.gz" $(rpm -ql nagios)

> I've looked at a few suggested Nagios front ends including Centreon and they
> turned out to be bad experiences. Mostly due to the fact that being
> a Nagios noobie I didn't know what the hell the front was doing. The worst of it
> though was the way those front ends kept over-writing my
> configuration files in favor of it's own. Made a real mess of things and after
> the third reinstallation of Nagios on my sandbox I decided they
> weren't worth the effort or the misery. (Centreon and NagiosQL)
>
> Groundworks is out of the question because as soon as it was installed and
> running it disabled my current instance of MySQL in favor of it's
> own. Not such a big deal as at the time it was on my sandbox machine, but had
> that been a production machine where I've got web applications
> running I'd have been seriously pissed! Funny that... Groundworks didn't mention
> anything about that rather rude behavior.
>
> No, I'd much rather be able to connect a standard Nagios install to a MySQL
> backend and use everything else as is.

What particular data is it you want to put in the database? We have plenty of
scripts, eventbrokers and programs written specifically to gather Nagios data
and put it in a database. If you use our webconfiguration tool, it will
overwrite your configuration files when you click "save", but that's sort of
expected behaviour, I guess.

Still, I think you're going about this the wrong way if you only want it for
backup reasons.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.