Dependent service checks don't fail when depended-on service check fails

Jarrod Moore masternayru at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 06:41:42 CET 2009

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of related questions regarding service dependencies in
Nagios and their limitations. I have two service checks (let's call
them A and B) and service A depends on service B to function
correctly. I want to set Nagios up so that if service B crashes then
both services A and B are put into the critical state in Nagios. I've
tried using service dependencies in Nagios to represent this behaviour
but have yet to be successful. I can only get it to suppress
notifications of service A if both services go down.

Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do here? I'd have thought it
would be logical that if a service depends on another service and the
service depended on dies then all services depending on it would fail
their checks as well, but there;s probably some scenario where it
doesn't work so well. I've had a look through the mailing list
archives and found someone had asked a similar question to the
nagios-devel list about 2.5 years ago and didn't end up getting an
answer, so I thought I might ask whether solutions to this type of
problem had been developed since then.

Cheers,

Jarrod