check_icmp/ping works but native ping fails

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Mar 25 23:26:39 CET 2009

On Mar 25, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Richard Aseltine wrote:

>  > ping PHIPACHP02OPE19 1
> no answer from PHIPACHP02OPE19

> >./check_ping -H PHIPACHP02OPE19 -w 1000.0,20% -c 2000.0,60%
> OK - PHIPACHP02OPE19: rta 0.681ms, lost 0%|rta=0.681ms;
> 1000.000;2000.000;0; pl=0%;20;60;;
>
> Still puzzled
>
> Thanks

Again, use the verbose flags for check_ping, then try the same ping
command it uses (it varies by system). The only explanation I can give
at this point is that the ping binary you used above isn't the one
that check_ping is using or that some specific flag is needed on your
network. You should be able to discover that, and what that flag does,
through the process of elimination. It could also be some strange DNS
resolver issue with the ping binary. Running truss or strace on ping
may provide interesting information if those tools are familiar to you.

This *really* isn't a nagios issue since the plugin is doing the right
thing. If the above suggestions don't help you, you'll have better
luck through the support forums for your OS.

--
Marc