NRPE vs. check_by_ssh

Ciro Iriarte cyruspy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 15:01:16 CET 2009

2009/3/25 Idriss ARABBAJ <arabbaj at gmail.com>:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I carefully read your speech about this subject and I found you a lot
> of insist on security  offering by  ssh, but  you can also configure
> nrpe to work with ssl so I think we will have no difference at this
> level, then what do you think?
> best regards
>

> --
> Cordialement,
> Idriss ARABBAJ

Don't top-post.... We have seen performance issues (in the key
exchange phase mostly) using check_by_ssh with about 300 checks on a
single host. NRPE using SSL has less overhead.

Running a plugin using SSH took 7.5 to 10 seconds (various tests) and
running the same with NRPE took 0.148 seconds at most. The target
server is a big SPARC with 3 CPUs dual-core, dual-strand and 24GB, so
is not a hardware issue....

Regards,

--
Ciro Iriarte