check_disk solaris problem and solution

Philip Brown ppb at usc.edu
Tue Mar 24 22:40:21 CET 2009

Odd thing....

we've been in the process of upgrading from an ooold set of plugins, to a
new one, on solaris

we have some "very large" filesystems we want to monitor.

the old 1.3.1 plugin version of "check_disk" worked fine.

the newer ones did not, at one point.
(I'm dealing with 1.4.13 of the plugins)

The older one calls "df". The newer one attempts to use system calls to
figure it out "the hard way".

Odd thing is... SOMETIMES, it compiles correctly.
Sometimes, it does not.

I have not yet figured out the magic that makes it compile "correctly".
However, when it didnt, I brute-forced the issue a bit, by defining.

CFLAGS=-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1

and then it seems to work.

Odd thing is that a more recent test compile, showed
  ac_cv_sys_file_offset_bits=64
in config.log, and that resulted in a check_disk that worked correctly on
large files.