Nagios and email

Peter Doherty doherty at crystal.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 24 03:22:06 CET 2009

Hello,

I have a kind of custom nagios setup, so maybe this is a byproduct of
that...
I had to reboot my nagios server today, and it didn't come right back
up.  By the time it did, it realized that the service checks weren't
fresh, and started sending out lots of notifications.  I stopped
sendmail to keep from flooding my inbox...so here's the question:

I just want to clear out the outgoing email queue.  mailq and sendmail
-bp both show nothing queued up.  When I restart sendmail, it starts
sending again.
Has nagios passed all the emails over to sendmail, and I just need to
clear out sendmail's queue, or is nagios holding onto them while
sendmail isn't running, and then once it sees sendmail running, it
starts dumping email into the queue?

Which is it, and how do I clear them from the queue?

Thank you.
--Peter