pnp4nagios or nagiosgraph?

Bryan Wann bwann-nagios at wann.net
Mon Mar 23 19:10:48 CET 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Sergio Ariel wrote:

> I wanna to graph plugin output. What do I should install?

I like to think I'm relatively competent with Nagios, but I fought with
nagiosgraph for a while before I ran out of patience and gave up.
Unfortunately it's been several months since I did this, so I can't
remember why I hated it so much.  It didn't help that there are multiple
packages out there named 'nagiosgraph'.  pnp4nagios, otoh, installed
quickly, easily, and just works.

I'm disappointed that Nagios doesn't have a graphing engine built in.
It's silly to go to the trouble of setting up checks to build datapoints
(e.g. ping RTT, memory, disk space) and then throw away data that could
have great historic value.  Of course, this is a whole 'nother can of
worms and gets into the "it's only build for one thing" argument.

Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,
bryan