check_smtp und SMTPS

Sat Mar 21 20:16:09 CET 2009

Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> Marc Powell schrieb:
>
>> On Mar 20, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I am trying to check a mailserver using SSL:
>>>
>>> ./check_smtp -H my.server.tld -S -p 465
>>> CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds
>>> ./check_tcp -H my.server.tld -p 465
>>> TCP OK - 0.002 second response time on port 465|time=0.001616s;;;
>>> 0.000000;10.000000
>>>
>>> SMTPS ist in productive use on that server, as you can see check_tcp
>>> can reach the port, but check_smtp claims not to reach the SMTPS
>>> service.
>>>

>> It seems to work as advertised. What do you see with verbose mode for
>> check_smtp --
>>

> check_smtp -H my.server.tld -S -p 465 -v
> HELOCMD: EHLO nagios.server.tld
> CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds
>
> That is all. It looks like check_smtp sends a EHLO but does not get
> anything back.
>
> Strange. I have to check with kerio support, I guess.
>
> Dirk

You are using the wrong plugin. check_smtp does not understand
SSL-protected SMTP. Use the check_ssmtp plugin instead; that is what I
am using for this purpose.

The -S option turns on TLS (also known as starttls), not SSL. They are
*almost* the same, with one critical difference: with TLS, the initial
conversation (the EHLO and one or two more commands and responses)
occurs in plain text, and THEN the client and the server negotiate
encryption. That way, you can run encrypted and unencrypted traffic at
the same time over the same port (25 or 587).

On port 465, the server turns on encryption first, and then expects the
EHLO to already be encrypted.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.