Need high frequency ping checks

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Mar 20 20:38:44 CET 2009

2009/3/20 Todd Blum <toddb at mbsnetinc.com>:
> Hello,
>
>         At my organization, our monitoring requirements for our client's WAN
> interfaces is to ping them once per second.

That begs the question - why do they want to ping them once per second?

If it is because they want to know the very instant a ping is dropped,
you're probably best off writing your own script to do that (and
forget using Nagios for it).

If it's because they want detailed stats on how reliable their network
is I'd approach it a different way...

You could write a script which pings every second, and every minute
sends a passive check to Nagios showing how many of the 60 pings in
the last minute were lost.  Nagios can then process these in its own
time and alert on whatever criteria are appropriate.

Nagios simply isn't designed for second-by-second instrumentation.
It's designed for alerting within a human time-frame.

hth,

Jim