Configuration Insanity: Multiple site configurations

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Mar 20 09:50:42 CET 2009

2009/3/20 Mark Weaver <mweaver at compinfosystems.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I've got an insane problem that is driving me crazy and there doesn't seem
> to be any logical reason for it. I've attached the pertinent information
> concerning the insanity. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help make
> sense of this nonsense.
>
> thanks,
>
> Mark

> Error: Template 'windows-desktop' specified in host definition could not
> be not found (config file '/etc/nagios/objects/kfsi/kfsi-hosts.cfg',
> starting on line 181)

Strangely enough, this error message points to where you will find
your problem (or at least the beginning of it anyway).

If you look in /etc/nagios/objects/kfsi/kfsi-hosts.cfg somewhere at
line 181 or soon after you will find a "use" directive.  This is
trying to use a template called "windows-desktop" which you have not
defined properly anywhere.

Have a look in /etc/nagios/global/templates/templates.cfg and if you
can't find the template, then define one.  You can probably copy
another host template which is already in that file.

If, however, you think the template is already there, you might find
you've forgotten to put "register 0" to indicate it's a template, and
you might also have put "host_name windows-desktop" which would be
wrong for a template definition.  It should be "name windows-desktop".
 Without seeing your actual files I can't say for sure.

If you're still stuck, please post the relevent parts of
/etc/nagios/objects/kfsi/kfsi-hosts.cfg and
/etc/nagios/global/templates/templates.cfg so we can see where the
problem lies.

hth,

Jim