monitoring remote networks

Mark D. Weaver mweaver at compinfosystems.com
Thu Mar 19 15:40:43 CET 2009

Jim Avery wrote:
> 2009/3/19 Mark Weaver <mweaver at compinfosystems.com>:
>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> There's the rub... they're not remote or child branches of the same company
>> or parent. These are separate entities. Actively monitoring the router is
>> like falling out of bed, however there is a single IP for that remote client
>> router with a LAN subnet behind it. I'm trying to wrap my brain around  a
>> number of things all at once here.
>>
>> Setup the host groups... ok. not a problem of course these groups would have
>> a different parent than the ones on my LAN where the nag server is, but the
>> hosts would all have the same IP address given that there's no site-to-site
>> connection between my network where the Nag server is and the remote LAN.
>> It's ok if all checks are passive as long as Nagios doesn't mind that all
>> the hosts have the same IP address defined in the host files for this remote
>> network.
>>

> I doubt there should be a problem having all of the checks passive.
> NSClient++ has nsca functionality built-in now.  I think it's
> currently beta status, but I've been using it for months in a similar
> situation here (remote site on one-way VPN) without any problems.
> Admittedly, I didn't bother trying to set up passive host checks as I
> was more interested in the performance data than anything else.  Of
> course this means you can only really monitor nodes which are able to
> send passive checks (Unix  and Windows hosts and not much else) unless
> you script some checks on those hosts to montitor the other stuff.
>
> Alternatively, you might consider installing a small Nagios server on
> each customer site.  You could then, if you wish, configure it only to
> send a check result back to your central Nagios server if any state
> changes, and send the occasional heartbeat check to make sure it's
> working.  The advantage of this is that you can monitor whatever you
> like (printers, switches, etc,) on the customer site and keep the
> amount of bandwidth used down to an absolute minimum (if that's
> important to you).  It also means that your customer can have a view
> of how their systems are doing even if their internet connection is
> down at the time and it means you can guarantee that one customer
> can't see the status of another customer's systems.
>
> You will of course need to enable the relevant ports in your firewall
> to allow the incoming passive connections (regardless of which method
> you choose).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim

Yes, that is something I'd considered, but as long as I can I'd like to
keep from deploying multiple nag servers, although there are instances
existing now where that wouldn't be a problem.

Nagios is an adventure and a challenge and one I'm really starting to
enjoy now that the learning curve has started to level a wee bit.

Mark