Stuck on NRPE for OS X Server

Andrew Davis nccomp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 13:57:58 CET 2009

My /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe is below:

# /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe
# default: on
service nrpe
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        port            = 5666
        wait            = no
#        user            = nobody
        user            = daemon
#        group           = nobody
        group           = wheel
        server          = /usr/local/sbin/nrpe
        server_args     = -c /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg --inetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable         = no
        only_from       = 127.0.0.1 10.1.1.170
}

Originally, it was set to nobody:nobody. As a test, I set it to
daemon:wheel. In all cases, it gives the "cannot run as root" error. I
guess I can try making a Nagios user & group and testing with that.

  A. Davis
  Email:     nccomp at gmail.com

  "There is no limit to what a man can accomplish
   if he doesn't care who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan