Stuck on NRPE for OS X Server

Andrew Davis nccomp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 21:57:30 CET 2009

If I'm reading this correctly, the line about "NRPE daemon cannot be run
as user/group root!" is directly from the source code of NRPE. Its not
an xinetd thing. I've confirmed that xinetd is running and listening on
port 5666. I tried changing the owner/group from nobody:nobody to
another unprivileged user, but it didn't work. Same results. It appears
that despite my configuring the /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg and the
/etc/xinetd.d/nrpe files to use a user other than root, it still tries
to start it as the root user and thus when an incoming connection comes
in, it gives the "NRPE daemon cannot be run as user/group root!" error.
Any thoughts on how to rectify this? Since NRPE is working fine on
Linux, is this just a Mac OS X thing? Any help would be immensely
appreciated.

AD