problem starting nagios

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Mar 18 18:43:33 CET 2009

Hi Anirudh,

On Mar 18, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Anirudh Srinivasan wrote:

> This is what i see when i run this .and to tell you i dint create
> time period which i think is no way related to this problem:
>
> Nagios 3.0.6
> Copyright (c) 1999-2008 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
> Last Modified: 12-01-2008
> License: GPL
>
> Nagios 3.0.6 starting... (PID=31661)
> Local time is Wed Mar 18 12:59:33 EDT 2009
> Error: Template 'generic-host' specified in host definition could
> not be not found (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/
> localhost.cfg', starting on line 20)
> Error: Template 'generic-service' specified in service definition
> could not be not found (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/
> localhost.cfg', starting on line 64)
>
> Error: Could not create external command file '/usr/local/nagios/var/
> rw/nagios.cmd' as named pipe: (2) -> No such file or directory.  If
> this file already exists and you are sure that another copy of
> Nagios is not running, you should delete this file.
> Bailing out due to errors encountered while trying to initialize the
> external command file... (PID=31661)

Any Error's will prevent nagios from starting. That's a pretty common
convention for daemons. You must fix the three configuration errors
above before nagios will start.

For the first two errors, you have host{} and service{} definitions
that reference other definitions named 'generic-host' and 'generic-
service'. They do not exist in a cfg file that you've told nagios to
load. Use grep to find which file they exist in and make sure it's
listed as a cfg_file in nagios.cfg.

For the last error, nagios has been told to listen for external
commands but is unable to create the 'file' needed to do that under /
usr/local/nagios/var/rw. Does that directory exist and is it owned and
readable/writable by the nagios user? If you installed from source, I
believe the make command to do that is 'make install-commandmode' from
within the nagios source tree, or you can just create the rw directory
(but not the nagios.cmd file) and give it nagios ownership and rwx
permissions.

--
Marc