RESEND: orphaned check, no check results posted, no macro expand: solaris 10, new install]

David Dozier David.Dozier at Sun.COM
Wed Mar 18 16:02:01 CET 2009

All,

Should I be seeing the following lack of macro expansion in nagios.debug?

In nagios.debug:
================
[] Raw Command Input: $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80%
-c 5000.0,100% -p 5
[] Expanded Command Output: $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w
3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 5

[] Finished reaping 0 check results

In nagios.log:
==============
Warning: The check of host 'localhost' looks like it was orphaned (results never came back).  I'm scheduling an immediate c
heck of the host...

Nagios 3.0.8
Plugins 1.4.13
Solaris 10 10/08

Fresh, first install of Nagios from source, using documentation & Fedaora quick start guide

If this is not the correct forum for this type of question, kindly point me to the proper one.

Thanks,

EARLIER POST:

I am having difficulty with a new 3.0.6 install on Solaris 10;  check
results are not being posted to and/or successfully reaped from the temp
file in var/spool/checkresults. No errors are

The plugins (eg, /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_http) can be
successfully launched manually, and return the expected results.

The checks are being scheduled & launched, for the hosts and services
defined.  Most other aspects of the GUI seem as expected.  But no data
is being reported to the Nagios web app.

To simplify debugging, I am looking only at localhost, as defined in the
out-of-the-source objects/localhost.cfg
Debugging_level=2
Debuggins_output=16

In the debug fragment below,  Expanded Command Ouput is not expanded;
the $USER1$, $HOSTADDRESS$ and other macros remain as literals.

Is this an artifact of the debug logging?  Or might this be part of the
problem?

A fragment from var/nagios.debug

[] ** Running async check of host 'localhost'...
[] Checking host 'localhost'...
[] Adjusting check attempt number for host 'localhost': current
attempt=1/10, state=0, state type=1
[] New check attempt number = 1
[] Raw Command Input: $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80%
-c 5000.0,100% -p 5

[] Expanded Command Output: $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w
3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 5

[] Check result output will be written to
'/opt/local/nagios-3.0.6/var/spool/checkresults/checkNraWhI' (fd=7)
[] Host check is executing in child process (pid=17909)
[] Starting to reap check results.
[] Starting to read check result queue
'/opt/local/nagios-3.0.6/var/spool/checkresults'...
[] Finished reaping 0 check results

FYI: I set Debugging_output=256, and every  "Expanded Command Output" is
not expanded, and every "Reap check results" yeilds 0 check results.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
David