blank perfdata: not parsing macros

M P reg at eyesopen.org
Wed Mar 18 15:46:24 CET 2009

On 18-Mar-09, at 5:06 AM, Jim Avery wrote:

> 2009/3/17 M P:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have nagios3 running (installed via apt-get on Debian).
>> Everything worked
>> pretty well until I tried to add graphing support.
>>
>> As described in numerous how-tos, I added the following to
>> nagios.cfg:
>
> What kind of graphing support are you trying to add?  There are
> various kinds including Nagiosgrapher and PNP.
>
> Don't forget that if the plugin doesn't produce any performance data,
> there will be nothing to graph!  Check the service detail screen for
> the service you're interested in and check that there is some
> performance data there.
> Cheers,
>
> Jim.

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to add support for Nagiosgrapher. So far it does not pick
up any information - not surprisingly since the files are blank.

The plugins do show performance data on the detail screen, so that
part must be working: they are actually producing it.

It looks like I am missing something very basic. It's as if the
context is lost when it tries to execute the process-service-perfdata
command. Most macros do not get parsed, although $USER1$ as well as
$ARG1$ and so on get recognized.

Looking at http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/macrolist.html it
appears that a number of macros are supported for Service Perf Data,
but that's not the behaviour I see.

Other than compiling from source, any other tips?

Thanks,