Problems with nrpe and nagios 3

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Mar 18 14:38:44 CET 2009

Dunn, Larry wrote:
> Good morning group!
>
> I am still relatively new to nagios and trying to implement nrpe with
> nagios 3 at my site.  I believe I have everything setup correctly on
> both the nagios server and the client.  When I try to use check_nrpe to
> run a script on the client side I am getting the error:
>
>     nrpe[]: Error: Request packet had invalid CRC32.
>     nrpe[]: Client request was invalid, bailing out...
>
> I am running the nagios server on solaris 9 and the client is running
> Redhat Linux WS 3 update 6. The version of check_nrpe is 1.9 but the
> version of nrpe is 2.12.  I have the system setup to execute the nrpe
> daemon through xinetd on the linux client.

That doesn't work. The nrpe protocol changed between 1.x and 2.x, so
you need to make sure you're using the same (major) version of nrpe
on both ends of the connection.

I faintly remember having to make some modifications to (check_)nrpe
2.x for it to compile cleanly on solaris, although I think that was
an older version of it than yours. If you run into similar problems,
poke me and I'll see if I can find the modified sources somewhere.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.