service dependency and escalations

Chris Beattie cbeattie at geninfo.com
Wed Mar 18 14:03:24 CET 2009

Lori Adams wrote:
> We are still running nagios 2.x.

I appropriated a spare desktop PC and practiced the upgrade there first.
  There were a few changes in the nagios.cfg file that I needed to make,
but it was relatively painless.

> Is it possible to specify a  servicedependency and/or a service
> escalation within a service definition?

I don't think so, but that's how I do things with host groups and
service groups.  I have the dependencies and escalations defined in
separate config files, but wildcards let me have one service escalation
definition, one host escalation definition, and one service dependency
definition.

> For the dependencies:
>
> I run into the situation that a service is dependent on another service
> on the same host.  Even though this host is in a hostgroup, I can’t use
> the hostgroup to specify the dependencies.
>
> This makes the configs very messy and not easily templatizable.
>
> Is something like this possible for the 3.x series?

I'm running 3.10 right now, and you can put a hostgroup in the
dependency definition.

I have hundreds of Windows servers monitored.  Occasionally, the agent
gets starved for resources during backups or otherwise clobbered.  That
used to cause a slew of notifications, since none of the checks worked,
but the host could still be pinged.

I set up a service dependency so all the services defined for the
Windows hosts are dependent on a check of the client's version number.
The client version is checked more often than the rest of the services.
  There isn't a threshold: if it's not OK, the client needs to be fixed:

define servicedependency {
	hostgroup_name			dev_windows_servers,windows_servers
	service_description		Client Version
	dependent_service_description	*,!Client Version
	execution_failure_criteria	w,c
	notification_failure_criteria	w,c
}

I use a wildcard to get all the services on the host, but since "Client
Version" is also one of the services assigned to the
(dev_)windows_servers hostgroup, I had to add the !Client Version
exception.  That's the entire contents of my servicedependencies.cfg
file, though.

For the sake of completeness, here is how I defined the escalations I
needed:

define serviceescalation {
	hostgroup_name		windows_servers,Agentless_Checks
	service_description	*
	contact_groups		+nogmgr
	first_notification	3
	last_notification	0
}

define hostescalation {
	host_name		*
	contact_groups		+nogmgr
	first_notification	3
	last_notification	0
}

--
Chris Beattie

Nothing in this message is intended to make or accept and offer or to form a contract, except that an attachment that is an image of a contract bearing the signature of an officer of our company may be or become a contract. This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, we hereby notify you that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and delete this message immediately.

Thank you.