sending external commands remotely

Eric Pearce epearce at amberpoint.com
Mon Mar 16 22:48:55 CET 2009

I'd like to be able to remotely turn off/turn on service/host checks.  For example, a remote machine could turn off a service check while running a backup and turn it back on after it is done.  Ideally, this is a simple perl script, wrapper for 'wget', batch file, etc that could run on Unix or Windows (maybe using SSL for securing the password?).   I assume it would talk directly to cgi on the nagios server.  I've seen some others asking for something similar, but no definitive replies.   My understanding of NSCA is that is simply for collecting passive information, and can't actually change things, right?

Yes, I could schedule downtime via Nagios, but the downtime is of variable length, the so the exact backup window is not known in advance.  The machine doing the actual backup "knows best" when turn monitoring on and off.   NFS mounting the nagios command file is not an option.    I did see the old remote_ctl.pl script on nagiosexchange but I don't want to do anything non-standard on the nagios server if possible.  I understand that I could use ssh to run local commands on nagios server, but I'm looking for something more elegant.

My setup is Linux server running Nagios 3.0.6 and 1.4.13 plugins monitoring Linux, Solaris and Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008 hosts.

Thanks
-e