Host checks instead of service checks

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Mon Mar 16 21:27:15 CET 2009

2009/3/16 Deborah Martin <Deborah.Martin at kognitio.com>:

> So on changing the "ssh check"  from a
> service to a host definition (to prevent PENDING on the hosts), the
> pre-flight warnings now complain there are no services associated with the
> hosts. On big systems here (100 nodes+) this makes the pre-flight output
> really unreadable and not really accurate as surely we should be able to
> choose whether something is a host check or service check but not have to
> define BOTH!

> Ultimately, I just want to filter SSH check problems to appear under "Host
> problems" rather than under "Service problems" so users can easily spot
> other service problem issues and not have to trawl through 100's of lines of
> output in the web interface.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand.  If there are "other service
problems" this implies you are monitoring services other than ssh on
that host.  In that case it is perfectly valid to have ssh as your
host check and various other checks as your service checks.  The
pre-flight "nagios -v" test then won't complain at all.

Please don't forget that the primary purpose of Nagios is to alert you
when a service important to you has a problem.  If a service isn't
important to you you probably shouldn't be monitoring it with Nagios.

If ssh is the only service important to you on a server and it's also
the only way to check whether it is up, it's perfectly valid to have
it both as a service and host check.

If it really bothers you, you could probably contrive an snmp query of
the port on the switch most local to the server to see if it's 'up' or
not.

Cheers,

Jim