problem starting nagios

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Mar 16 20:05:46 CET 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 1:24 PM, Anirudh Srinivasan wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I did a fresh nagios 3.0.6 installation on a linux server.
>
> Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the pre-
> flight check
> [root at DELL8B81Y11 sbin]# service nagios restart
> Running configuration check...done.
> Stopping nagios: /etc/init.d/nagios: line 67: kill: (24483) - No
> such process
> done.
> Starting nagios: done.
> [root at DELL8B81Y11 sbin]# service nagios status
> nagios is not running
> [root at DELL8B81Y11 sbin]#
>
> Why am i getting like this.

What does nagios.log have to say?
Do you see the process running in the ps list?
Can you run nagios in the foreground as root (/usr/local/nagios/bin/
nagios /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg)?
As the nagios user?
In daemon mode as the nagios user (/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d /
usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg)?
Is there anything special about the mount point that nagios lives under?

> At the webinterface when i type http://localhost/nagios/ i get to
> see the webinterface but when i click host detail i see this :

> <title>500 Internal Server Error</title>
What do your web server error logs show?

--
Marc