check_ntp_peer unreliable on macs

Keith Erekson erekson at digiraticonsulting.com
Fri Mar 13 22:25:39 CET 2009

I found this in my mailing list archives, while looking for information about check_ntp_peer. As far as I can tell, nobody ever answered you...

I was just looking into this exact problem. If you check the verbose output, you will probably see something like this:

0 candiate peers available
warning: no synchronization source found
warning: LI_ALARM bit is set

I do get valid output from "ntpq -p hostname", however.

Apparently, the problems with OS X's NTP are well-known and documented. For example,

http://knol.google.com/k/dirk-h-schulz/time-synchronization-ntp-on-mac-os-x/2bcee0ik2900p/18#
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/KnownOsIssues#Section_9.2.5

As a way around this, I thought I would just use check_ntp_time, to compare the xserve's clock against that of the nagios box. However, no luck there either:

sending request to peer 0
response from peer 0: offset -0.9300264975
sending request to peer 0
response from peer 0: offset -0.9299369976
sending request to peer 0
response from peer 0: offset -0.9299154976
sending request to peer 0
response from peer 0: offset -0.9298709977
discarding peer 0: stratum=0
overall average offset: 0
NTP CRITICAL: Offset unknown|

It seems that OS X is responding as a stratum 0 server, which is a no-no.

Also, while fiddling with check_ntp_peer, I noticed that it doesn't seem to accept a port (-p or --port), as the help output suggests it should be able to. Am I crazy?

-Keith

    Message: 24