WMI's

Mark Weaver mweaver at compinfosystems.com
Fri Mar 13 13:36:22 CET 2009

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Martyn wrote:
>
>> How do I add the windows credentials.
>>
>> check_nt -H 192.168.1.1 -p 1248 -v INSTANCES -l Process
>>
>> If I run the above it will give me a refused connection, where in the above
>> line would I add the username and password of the Windows box I want to
>> connect to?
>>

> You're holding a hammer and want someone to explain to you how to use it
> as a car. It can't be done with check_nt, but there are other programs out
> there that can ask questions over WMI, and you already know of some of
> them. Google should hold plenty of other resources if installing nsclient,
> NCNet or nsclient++ is not an option for you, although some programming
> may be necessary on your part.

*warning: post contains rant*

Andreas, you're making my head hurt! ;) I've been using (learning)
Nagios now for about a week now and haven't encountered anything with
such a vertical learning curve like this since I started learning Linux
in 1996. Climbing this learning curve causes massive frustration, but
once success happens there's a huge release of satisfaction and
self-accomplishment. I personally am enjoying the trip and experience.

Yesterday, after feeling comfortable getting Nagios to talk to servers
on my local network for checking the obvious services running on them -
linux and windows servers - like IIS, Apache, SMTP and the like I
started working on getting my workstation to talk to the Nagios server
via the NSClient++ package. This is going to be yet another challenge
and one I fully accept.

Let me tell you, for me the harder something is the more tenacious I
become and refuse to let go until I master it. That being said the
documentation which comes with Nagios seriously sucks until you begin to
get on to the Nagios way of doing things. Over the last week I have
googled more than I have in the last 5 years getting my test-bed nagios
system going. I have literally googled my brains out. At the moment I'm
somewhat at a loss to know whether I've worked harder googling for
information or actually getting to know the Nagios way and making things
work! I'm leaning towards Googling...

So for you to curtly suggest that all can easily be found googling as an
answer to this question is, well... just too easy. Either you don't
actually know or you don't feel like telling. I totally understand
though because I suspect you yourself have worked very hard getting to
know and work with Nagios and have put quite a bit of time into the
gaining the experience you now possess, but throwing us noobs a bone
isn't really asking too much is it?

Bone == link to information
slap in one's face == go google it...

Yeah... we can find the stuff we need by googling for it, but wouldn't
it be nice if the documentation were a lot more robust and contained in
a wiki somewhere? I have yet to find one for Nagios. In fact most of the
sites I've found for Nagios waste my time. Which is pretty much what
suggesting someone google for something does. They're hoping for, at the
very least a kick in the ass in the right direction but get sent back to
the place of frustration - Google! The trick to googling is knowing the
right question to ask and after you've been spending hours trying to
suss out something that is vexing one's soul that becomes an exercise in
futility. (I'm ranting, but I don't mean it in an accusatory tone.)

As I said, I do understand that you and others have invested a great
deal of time and effort into learning Nagios and how to work it, but if
you don't want to share whats locked away in your brains then why even
respond to the post?

If I've offended I do apologize, but as an experience network admin and
a Nagios noob I know the value of my time and yours and others searching
for the information that would hopfully unlock the doors currently
barring them from reaching the next milestone or goal. I appreciated
your metaphore of a hammer and a car; the fact that it can't be done
with check_nt was informative, but then you lost me when you said just
google it.

Google What for pete's sake? (after a long day of wrestling with the
beast that could mean google for anything ranging from the best recipe
for blueberry pancakes to the ingredient to a fusion device!)

Frankly, if I knew more about Nagios and the intimacies thereof, I would
gladly host a wiki for it on one my web servers, but alas I'm a noob. my
one burning question: Why the hell isn't there a wiki for Nagios, and if
there is where the bloody hell is it?

Thank you for you kind attention and for putting up with this petulant
Nagios Newbie.

Mark