How to receive notification alert by sms tomobile phone using Nagios

tsedendorj oyunbat t_oyunbat at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 02:34:04 CET 2009

Thanks a lot guys. I'll try that.

BR,
Oyunbat

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, Andrew Davis <nccomp at gmail.com> wrote:
From: Andrew Davis <nccomp at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] How to receive notification alert by sms tomobile phone using Nagios
To: "Martyn" <martyn at chetnet.co.uk>
Cc: "'Onotsky, Steve x55328'" <Steve.Onotsky at broadridge.com>, nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 9:39 AM

A combination of the "parents", hostgroups, and escalation. I'll post
my configs later, but once you have confirmed that SMS is setup and
working (make sure that for every email alert, you also get an SMS
alert), then you define your network topology and put them into
hostgroups. In my case, I have a hostgroup of "network-core" which
includes my core routers, firewalls, Exchange server, Exchange storage,
and the switch connecting the Exchange system with the firewall. I then
have a contactgroup of the SMS addresses of three key people (myself
included). If any of those device fail, Nagios sends notification via
SMS. If anything else fails, it goes via emails. The kewl thing is I'll
often sleep through emails, but if I get an SMS, I know something
serious failed and I force myself to get up...

Additionally, I tend to define a sanity check: a ping to yahoo and http
to MSN and non-caching dns query of Google. If all sanity checks fail
and are not resolved within 4 hours, then through escalations, an SMS
is sent to the manager of the support team at our ISP as we likely have
a bandwidth down issue. If sanity checks AND a core network device
fail, my ISP doesn't get notified as we know its us...

  A. Davis
  Email:     nccomp at gmail.com

  "There is no limit to what a man can accomplish
   if he doesn't care who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan

Martyn wrote:

   _filtered #yiv283844187 {
font-family:Tahoma;}
 _filtered #yiv283844187 {margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;}
#yiv283844187 P.MsoNormal {
FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN:0cm 0cm 0pt;COLOR:#000099;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";}
#yiv283844187 LI.MsoNormal {
FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN:0cm 0cm 0pt;COLOR:#000099;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";}
#yiv283844187 DIV.MsoNormal {
FONT-SIZE:12pt;MARGIN:0cm 0cm 0pt;COLOR:#000099;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";}
#yiv283844187 A:link {
COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;}
#yiv283844187 SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;}
#yiv283844187 A:visited {
COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;}
#yiv283844187 SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;}
#yiv283844187 PRE {
FONT-SIZE:10pt;MARGIN:0cm 0cm 0pt;COLOR:#000099;FONT-FAMILY:"Courier New";}
#yiv283844187 SPAN.EmailStyle18 {
COLOR:navy;FONT-FAMILY:Arial;}
#yiv283844187 DIV.Section1 {
}