showing critical problems and host downs

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Mar 11 20:04:51 CET 2009

2009/3/11  <Rkovar at gmail.com>:
> Folks,
> I am almost done with creating a NOC using Nagios as it's primary event
> issue engine. however, one of the last things I have on my task list I have
> not been able to figure out! I want to be able to show my unacknowledged
> critical problems AND unacknowledged downed hosts. I have come up with the
> below, which sows me unacknowledged critical issues from unacknowledged
> hosts, but I also want to see (on the same screen) unacknolwedged hosts that
> are down. Has anyone come up with the right combo of numbers? Or come up
> with a different way to show this? Thanks ahead of time.
>
> ../../cgi-bin/status.cgi?host=all&servicestatustypes=16&hoststatustypes=3&serviceprops=8&hostprops=32

I couldn't find a way around that one myself either.  I simply make
sure that every host has at least one active-check (not passive)
service.  The simplest is to make sure you ping (as a service check)
everything which wouldn't otherwise have an active service check
configured.

I tried putting two screens on one page using frames and having one
above the other, but that was less than satisfactory - if the top
frame had lots of alerts on it, the bottom frame would get shoved
below the visible screen.

There are myriad alternative front-ends for Nagios.  Maybe one of
those will do what you want it to?

Good luck,

Jim