How to receive notification alert by sms to mobile phone using Nagios

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Mar 11 09:46:15 CET 2009

2009/3/11 tsedendorj oyunbat <t_oyunbat at yahoo.com>:
> I'm new one in Nagios system.
> I work in mobile cellular operator company. And I need to know is there any
> chance to get notification alert via sms to my mobile phone when BSC or HLR
> equipments go down or stop working?
> Is there any configuration on Nagios? And how to connect Nagios server to
> sms center.

Currently I use an external email-sms service similar to
http://www.intellisms.co.uk so I can send emails from Nagios in the
usual way and have them converted to SMS.  It's extremely easy to set
up, but has the disadvantage that if the email system goes down, we
don't know about it!

Alternatively, you could connect a mobile 'phone to your Nagios server
and send SMS using gnokii http://www.gnokii.org/ or similar, or your
mobile operator might well have an http interface you could use or can
recommend other options.

In Nagios, you specify the notification methods in command definitions
which you can write yourself so it's extremely flexible.  See
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/notifications.html under the
heading "Notification Methods".

hth,

Jim