NRPE: Unable to Read Output???

Gavin Williams gavin.williams at card.co.uk
Fri Mar 6 20:44:48 CET 2009

Hi there,

I'm having issues when trying to check a plugin via NRPE...

Whenever I run the check command, NRPE returns:

Unable to read output.

I'm lost...

The file permissions are correct, it's executable and owned by the
Nagios user...

The script runs fine locally.

I have double and triple checked the command definition, and that's
fine...

For reference, here's some output.

Sample command and result:

nagios]$ libexec/check_oracle.pl -db FSRPRD02 -ch r -w 900 -c 1800

OK: FSRPRD02 Replication is currently 9 seconds behind
Live|Replication=9s;900;1800

NRPE command is defined as:

command[check_oracle]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_oracle.pl -ch
$ARG1$ -db $ARG2$ -w $ARG3$ -c $ARG4$

Permissions on check_oracle.pl are:

nagios]$ ls -l libexec/check_oracle.pl

-rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 4371 Mar  6 19:38 libexec/check_oracle.pl

NRPE Check command and result is:

libexec]$ ./check_nrpe -H fsr-act-db01 -c check_oracle -a r FSRPRD02 900
1800

NRPE: Unable to read output

I've restarted NRPE dozens of times, and enabled debugging... however
nothing useful shows up in /var/log/messages...

Anybody have any ideas???

Cheers

Gavin