Ndoutils MySQL performance problem?

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Mar 6 13:41:50 CET 2009

2009/3/4 Marc DeTrano <marc at gridshield.net>:
> 2009/3/3 Livio Zanol Puppim <livio.zanol.puppim at gmail.com>:
> I'm no expert at MySQL performance, but we found a couple of things that
> helped speed up NDO significantly:
>
> -We are using a my.cnf based on the "my-innodb-heavy-4G.cnf" example
> that comes with MySQL.
> -The innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit setting in that file is "2" (instead
> of 1..the difference in performance is huge, and the trade off in data
> integrity is negligible for us).
>
> If your process gets heavy over time, you may have to reduce things in
> ndo2db.cfg like max_servicechecks_age (to keep the size of these
> historical tables manageable).
>
> Marc
> Gridshield, S.A.

Wow!  That made a huge difference!  I simply added a file "nagios.cnf"
under /etc/mysql/conf.d like so:

  [mysqld]
  innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 2

and it reduced my Nagios startup time from more than 3 minutes to only
30 seconds!

I already had quite a few of the data_processing_options disabled in
ndomod.cfg and had reduced all of the max_*_age parameters in
ndo2db.cfg to 24 hours (before those my startup time was more than 5
minutes).

Many thanks indeed!

Cheers,

Jim