check_ping for service and host explanation

shadih rahman shadhin71 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 17:00:35 CET 2009

All,
   I need some clarification about Nagios host and service check
relationship.  I have no dependency defined.  I have the following host and
service defintion

define host{
        name                  foo
        use                   generic-host          ; Inherit default values
        check_period          24x7
        check_interval        0
        max_check_attempts    2
        notification_period   24x7
        notification_interval 10
        notification_enabled 0
        check_command      check_host_alive
}

define  service {
        use                     basic-service
        hostname          foo
        service_description     ping
        servicegroups           named
        check_command           check-host-alive

}

if you look above, I have both service and host check_command is the same
check ("check_host_alive").  Now host is not checking on regular time
interval because I have the check_interval is set to "0".  Lets say the
service check fails,  at this point would nagios perform on demand host
check?   Also would nagios show host status as down and service status as
critical?  Please advise on this.  Thanks

--
Cordially,
Shadhin Rahman