Determining status of a single service

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Thu Mar 5 09:40:37 CET 2009

Hi All!

Is there any combination of parameters with status.cgi or some other
script that one could use to easily determine the current status of a
specific host:service? I can get the whole page with this kind of URL

nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi?host=HOSTNAME

and then simply parse out the status of the specific service. However, I
am not too happy with relying on the structure of an HTML page.

I would like to be able to call up a URL from a remote machine, passing
the hostname and service, and get some very basic text like OK or a
numeric value for the status of that service. I would then take this
value and pass it to some other application. Building something with
Perl or PHP is straight forward  (we're running NDO). But I was hoping
that something is already available.

Any input is appreaciated.

Regards,

Jim Mohr