check_ping to monitor all IP's of a firewall

asam30 at gmail.com asam30 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 09:06:23 CET 2009

Hi,

I've a question on how to monitor multiple IP's of a firewall device using
check_ping in Nagios. Example, I have a firewall (prod-fireall) has 6 ip's
associated with it so in host.cfg i should do like this

define host{
          host_name       Prod-firewall-0
          use             generic-switch
          address         xx.xx.xx.40
          hostgroups      firewall
          }

define host{
          host_name       Prod-firewall-1
          use             generic-switch
          address         xx.xx.xx.41
          hostgroups      firewall
          }
define host{
          host_name       Prod-firewall-2
          use             generic-switch
          address         xx.xx.xx.42
          hostgroups      firewall
          }
like I need to assign different hostname per each ip address but in the
nagios interface, this looks a long list of host name that we dont want to
have. Is there any way that I can have a single hostname showing in nagios
interface and that should monitor all IPs associated with it?

Please let me know if possoble

thanks

--
Shankar Asam