Ndoutils MySQL performance problem?

Marc DeTrano marc at gridshield.net
Thu Mar 5 00:19:41 CET 2009

2009/3/3 Livio Zanol Puppim <livio.zanol.puppim at gmail.com>:

> > I'm having huge troubles with Mysql using 100% of CPU at peculiar times. I
> > don't know when this problem starts and I don't know the reason, but when it
> > happends I kill nagios, ndoutils and Mysql, and try to restart Mysql,
> > ndoutils and Nagios at this order. When I start Nagios, the CPU usage of
> > Mysql goes to 100% and everything just freezes with the initials
> > INSERT/UPDATES made by ndoutils.
> >
> > Has anyone had the same problem? I've changed my.cnf to hold slow-queries
> > logging, an have seen at intervals of 1 minute a query runned by ndo that
I'm no expert at MySQL performance, but we found a couple of things that
helped speed up NDO significantly:

-We are using a my.cnf based on the "my-innodb-heavy-4G.cnf" example
that comes with MySQL.
-The innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit setting in that file is "2" (instead
of 1..the difference in performance is huge, and the trade off in data
integrity is negligible for us).

If your process gets heavy over time, you may have to reduce things in
ndo2db.cfg like max_servicechecks_age (to keep the size of these
historical tables manageable).

Marc
Gridshield, S.A.