authenticated user always "guest"

David Halik dhalik at jla.rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 4 22:15:43 CET 2009

Hi all,

We've recently started to upgrade from Nagios 2.7 to 3.1 and noticed
something odd.

We use .htaccess with Apache in the Nagios webroot to restrict
authentication to only our internal LDAP system. Once auth'd Nagios'
cgi.conf then defines which users have which perms. Users coming from
our "protected" IP space don't have to auth at all and get the default
user of guest.

This has been working fine for us over the last year or two, but since
trying to move to 3.1 the same method and config files are giving us
different behavior. After authenticating succesfully as user "bob",
Nagios doesn't pick up bob as the auth'd name and just sees me as the
default "guest". Which means bob's Nagios perms are not activated,
guest's are.

No matter what I've tried I can't get Nagios to accept the authenticated
user name from Apache, yet I have this working fine in 2.7 with
identical configs.

Anyone else seen the same behavior or have any ideas? This really has me
stumped and is a blocker for us upgrading.

Thanks,
-Dave

--
David Halik