radius checks

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Wed Mar 4 17:33:42 CET 2009

* Jason Frisvold <frisvolj at lafayette.edu> [2009-03-04 11:12]:
> Holger Weiss wrote:
> > What's the check_radius command line you're using and how does your
> > radiusclient.conf look like?
>
> With check_radius, I had used a configuration almost identical to what
> you had (of course, addresses and secrets were different) ...  I've run
> across an old message mentioning that running check_radius as root made
> it work..

It works just fine for me without root privileges.  Is the radiusclient
configuration (including the "servers" file) readable for the user
executing check_radius?

> However, while I can get it to remotely contact the server if I run it
> as root, I still get an Auth failed error.  I have, again, double
> checked secrets and made sure that the nagios server is in the
> clients.conf file properly.
>
> And so now I have multiple radius clients that cannot seem to get the
> secret correct, yet radtest works flawlessly.
>
> Could this possibly be a 64-bit issue?  These servers are x86_64 RHEL5
> servers..  Maybe that's a problem?

Yes, there are issues with radiusclient on 64-bit systems.  However, it
should work with radiusclient-ng[*], or with the following patch against
radiusclient (included with Debian's libradius1 0.3.2-9):

Holger

[*] http://developer.berlios.de/projects/radiusclient-ng/